Pearls of Wisdom
Pearls of wisdom from the doctors
Top poisons for dogs and cats
- Chocolate-Dark and bakers are the most toxic. Milk chocolate can be dangerous if ingested in large amounts.
- Xylitol-This sweetner is found in sugarless candy and gum.
- NSAID-Ibuprofen, naproxen, advil, motrin, aleve are not easily metabolized by dogs and can result in stomach ulcers and kidney failure.
- Allergy and cold medications-That contain acetaminophen or decongestants are particularly toxic.
- Rodenticides (mouse and rat poison)-These can cause internal bleeding and brain swelling even in small amounts.
- Grapes and raisins-These foods in cause kidney damage.
- ADD and ADHD medications-Can cause seizures, tremors, cardiac problems and death in pets.
- Insect baits-These rarely cause poisoning but the plastic casing if swallowed can cause a bowel obstruction.
- Glucosamine joint supplements-Overdoses typically cause diarrhea but in rare cases can cause liver failure.
- Oxygen absorbers and silica packs-Can cause iron poisoning.
- Lilies-Easter, tiger and asiatic lilies cause kidney failure.
- Household cleaners-most are fairly safe but concentrated drain cleaners and toilet bowl cleaners can cause chemical burns.
- Tuna- Too much tuna whether human grade or cat food can cause mercury poisoning.
- Onions, garlic and chives – These foods in animals can break down red blood cells causing anmeia.
- Alcohol-Can cause liver and brain damage.
- Caffeine-is a toxic to anmals
- Antifreeze-causes kidney failure and death.
- Yeast dough-causes salt poisoning and swells in stomach.